I came across a social media post the other day that pointed out 3 monetization options for domains and websites that included an inquiry about other options that might be available to someone looking to monetize their domain asset(s).
While there is clearly a plethora of monetizing options available, it dawned on me that not everyone may know about them all. It’s also important to note that not all monetizing options will work for every niche, which can sometimes make it more complicated to identify the ideal solution(s).
Generally, I have always advised people to try using multiple targeted monetization techniques, test/track them and push harder on what works for that niche.
The list I’ll be adding below is not comprehensive or all encompassing, it’s just a reference and reminder for everyone (including myself) of the endless possibilities one has at their disposal to generate online revenue from their domain investments/developments.
Let’s roll up our sleeves and get started, shall we…
How To Monetize A Domain Or Website
Monetization Options Menu
- Pay per click – (Example: Local Auto Salvage – 2010 site, has not been updated since and still works/converts)
- Pay per lead
- Pay per impression
- Pay per view
- Live cam pay per minute
- Stock image packs
- Stock vector packs
- Stock video packs
- Software add-ons
- Affiliate programs
- Drop shipping
- Paid newsletter
- Paid membership
- Paid webinar/podcast
- Consulting service
- Development service
- Social media marketing service
- Banner Ads
- Inline contextual link ads
- Paid training courses
- Evaluation/Appraisal service
- Upgrade options
- Certification programs
- Blog subscriptions (Lead gathering for future up-selling)
- Video marketing service
- Video editing service
- Logo design service – (Example: San Antonio Logo Design – Lead generator for a primary brand)
- Web design service
- Banner design service
- Business card design service
- Illustration Service
- Other design services – (Freelance Design)
- Webmaster/Management services
- Article writing service
- Blog commenting service
- Guest blogging service
- Bookmarking service
- Paid Apps
- Exclusive access area on your site
- SEO/SEM services
- Lead generating service
- Brokerage service
- Data-mining service
- Forum posting/article sharing service
- Popups/pop-unders (I don’t recommend these, very annoying to visitors)
- Free downloads that require email (Lead gathering for future up-selling)
- Domain names for sale section with Buy Now/Make Offer options – (Developing A Domain portfolio)
- Domain parking (domain only)
- Domain sales landers (Domain + Hosting needed – Example: Domain Landing Page Monetization)
- Product review service
- Job board with paid listings
- Start your own affiliate program
- Start a Royalties/Residuals program – (Royalties and Residuals)
- You may also want to read this article I wrote in April 2017: Diversifying / Cross-niche / Verticals
- And the list goes on and on.
There’s really no shortage of ways to generate revenue through one of your digital assets (domains). It really comes down to your knowledge in the asset you are monetizing, the time you can devote to it, your budget for it, and your passion for seeing it succeed.
Keep in mind that what works for one may not work for another when it comes to the ideal revenue stream(s) for you. Not all the options listed above will work in every niche, however, I bet you can find a few that will if you customize them to target the niche.
Since each niche market is different and it can sometimes get complicated trying to figure out how to monetize them, you may want to consider consulting with a professional in the assets niche industry or a brand manager/consultant to assist with your monetization options/implementations.
It’s my hopes that this list helps serve as a checklist of options to reference from time to time (Bookmark it!) as you venture deeper into the world of online business building.
What’s your next online business development project?
Think about it!
Happy business building everyone!
Like what you’re reading? You can subscribe for instant notifications as soon as a new article is published in the top right of this page. If you are on a mobile device, you can scroll down and subscribe below.
Since 1996, Eric has managed companies with 240+ employees, online communities with over 1 million members, attended numerous industry related events/conventions and has personally worked with start-ups, personalities, small mom and pop businesses, corporations, freelancers, news outlets, and a variety of domain investors one-on-one from all over the world. That equates to a lot of years behind the scenes with his fingers firmly on the pulse of multiple industries.
LinkedIn: Profile/Resume - FaceBook: Profile/Social
Latest posts by Eric Lyon (see all)
- Updates: Domain Name Discovery / A New Journey / And A New Project - February 1, 2018
- The pecking order of domain investing – “No holds barred” - October 7, 2017
- Domain Name Sales Price Gouging – The Truth - September 11, 2017